Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Eve


Jen had a New Year's Eve party this year.  But instead of dressing up and toasting with champagne at midnight, we wore our sweats and toasted marshmallows and never saw midnight!  The kids had a blast!  Jen cooked chili and I brought hotdogs.  Noah, Shep, Wynn, Maggie Joe, Georgie and Alex sat around the fire pit roasting marshmallows and hotdogs.  The twins have done this before but it never gets old.  Then Uncle Wesley shot off the fireworks in the street.  I kept waiting for the big finale of fireworks but never saw them.  I don't think Uncle Wesley is a professional fireworks shooter!  Wynn was scared to death and Scott had to take him inside.  Shep sat in my lap and never said a word during the show.  Georgie kept saying "Do it again Wesey!"  Alex and Noah helped Wesley.  Then we all went inside to warm up.  After a few minutes the kids decided they wanted to go light the sparklers.  Scott and Wesley went outside to light them and supervise while Jen, Jill and I stayed inside.  After a few minutes the door flies open and all the kids came running in and screaming crying!  I mean screaming at the top of their lungs "The grass is on fire!"  You know the song "Ring of Fire"?  We had two of them.  In the back yard.  We jumped up to see Jen's backyard on fire.  Jen ran out to help the guys put out the fire while Jill and I tried to settle the kids down.  They were very scared.  Apparently, some of the sparks got on the grass and ignited it.  It made two circles of fire.  A good size fire.  And one of Jen's water hoses didn't work so they had one hose and had to stomp out the rest.  I wish someone could have taken a video clip of it all.  Scott and Wesley's pants have burns in them.  Anyway, the kids calmed down but we didn't do anymore sparklers and it was a good lesson on why you should stay on the concrete when using them.  Thanks to Jen for all the entertainment and food!  I love watching my children have fun and am so thankful we have best friends and family to make memories with!  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL...I had not heard that story. I think it is so funny that Wynn is so pumped to have that marshmallow on a stick. That is the funniest smile.

Karen said...

Sounds like you all had fun & the kids learned a good lesson about fireworks! Love their picrures!